Sunday, December 4, 2011

"You can't get there from here."

Fr. Curran started off an excellent homily this evening with this common expression, often referring to finding directions to a new destination. His point was that the statement is incorrect. Its more like..."you can't get there alone." And it makes sense. There are some places I could try driving to based on my own intuition and some simple direction from others...but unless I were a local Kansas Citian, I could not find it unless i had a navigator in the car with me (...ok, lets be real. There are lots of places like this.)

Fr. Curran's point though, was that, in a spiritual sense, the statement doesn't make sense either. And I totally agree.
 "You can't get there from here" implies that we have the capacity to get anywhere on our own, spiritually. And, it also says that there are places from which we can never get away, places from which we can never leave to find holiness or joy or peace. It implies that there might be sins that are too big to be forgiven, or that it is impossible to be a certain amount of holy in this world (if holiness were quantifiable).  All these statements are sooooo wrong.
Like Father said, "You can't get there alone."

"Behold, I am with you always until the end of the age." ~Matthew 28:20

And God does not mean for us to be alone. He is always with us. He sent His Spirit to be among us, the Church (Acts 2). He has been guiding us from the beginning.

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I dedicated you...have no fear before them, because I am with you to deliver you..." ~Jeremiah 2:5-8

And in this season of Advent, He is promising to enter our own humanity.

"'Behold, the virgin shall be with child and bear a son, and they shall name him Emmanuel,' which means 'GOD IS WITH US.' ~Matthew 1:23

For goodness' sake, Jesus' name means He is with us! How cool is that?
It was a kickin' homily.
Just sayin'. The president of our university rocks.

Take courage, when you feel that you can't get there alone. "You cannot go where God is not already, waiting for you."
Grace to you, and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment