Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Fluffy Poets

‎"Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired." -- Robert Frost

 Ok, so I absolutely dig quotes. I found this quote on a random blog that I accidentally clicked on, and immediately had those gooey, fuzzy, head-rush happy feelings you get when you hear something cheesy...those instances where EVERY girl shamelessly (and guys in their head shamefully, I know it) says "AWWWWWWW...." etc. I posted it on facebook, wrote it down in several places and have gone out of my way to quote it to 6 people. At first glance, most of poets' work is based on that intense appeal to emotion; sorry, poetry-lovers/writers, but its true. However, I find that the quotes/poems I dig the most are the ones that proclaim the truth in a particularly eloquent way, one that makes you think about a certain truth a little differently. This one totally roundhouse-kicked my emotional brain though, and initially, I neglected to think about what it really says. There is an element of truth to it...but, and forgive me for critiquing Mr. Frost, its not said correctly.
Silly Robert Frost...love is not a feeling, its not even a strong desire. (As I've already stumbled through discoursing desires, check out 2 posts ago.) Love is a choice, a conscious action....a complete self-gift. I will agree with Bobby Frost; we all have "an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired." Duh. Its...kinda what landed Adam with Eve in the garden. Its only the deepest longing of our hearts...to be loved. Its a wish for what we already know is real: that God jealously desires our hearts for His own. But Love is not that "irresisitable desire to be irresistibly desired." Love is our response to that "irresistible desire." So, props to you, Mr. Frost, but don't be so confusing next time... 

Peace and grace to you!

2 comments:

  1. I like this.... You're blog really needs a "love it, you are genius" button :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, "This one totally roundhouse-kicked my emotional brain"-great line.

    Second, I wanted to include this quote below when I commented, but decided I should wait till after Ryan's wedding. I'm going to be using it in my toast to him and Sarah. But then it perfectly matches up with what you're saying here, so you'll just have to wait to "approve" this comment until the 20th. I don't know how many TECers are actually going to his wedding-they couldn't invite everybody they wanted to-but this way it won't ruin the surprise.

    Enough babbling, it roundhouse kicks Robert Frost in the mouth.

    "Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being "in love" which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident."
    -St. Augustine

    ReplyDelete